Living Information ( English )
This webpage introduces the programs of the International Division, K.P.G., for the foreign residents, and living information for them.
K.P.G. provides counseling services for foreign residents at three locations of Yokohama, Kawasaki and Atsugi in the prefecture. If you have any worries about job, housing, education, pension, etc., you can freely come to receive counseling.
“Hello Kanagawa” is a newsletter issued by K.P.G. to provide living information for foreign residents.
It is issued three times a year in five languages (English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, and Portuguese). All versions have Japanese texts, too.
You can obtain the newsletter at the prefectural offices, the municipal offices for alien registration and counseling services, Yokohama District Immigration Office of the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau, and the international exchange associations in the prefecture.
Earth Festa Kanagawa is a festival held for the realization of harmonious multicultural society. Ethnic groups, NGOs, citizen volunteers, etc. in the prefecture work in cooperation from the planning stage to hold this event. The festival aims to create opportunities for people of different nationalities and cultures to get together, meet, introduce their cultures and ways of thinking, and to understand each other.
In all the programs, we intend to create occasions where many foreign nationals can participate.
When foreign residents of Kanagawa need interpretation services in their daily life, K.P.G. arranges a volunteer interpreter. This service is available only for public services, such as an interview with a teacher at school and counseling at an administrative institution.
We are recruiting volunteer interpreters who can cooperate for the Program.
English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, Tagalog, Thai, etc.
As a rule, applicants need to pay 3,000 yen for each service.
Inquiries and application
General Interpretation Service, 2F, Kanagawa Kenmin Center Tel: 045-317-8813
K.P.G. and the municipalities in the prefecture are operating a system with the Multi-language Information Center Kanagawa (MIC Kanagawa) to dispatch volunteer medical interpreters in cooperation with the Kanagawa Prefecture Medical Association, Kanagawa Hospital Association, Kanagawa Dental Association and Kanagawaken Pharmaceutical Association. Under this system, volunteer interpreters are dispatched to the 35 cooperating medical institutions within the prefecture by request through coordination by MIC Kanagawa.
Chinese, Korean, Tagalog, Portuguese, Spanish, English, Thai, Vietnamese, Lao and Cambodian (10 languages)
It costs 3,000 yen for the medical institutions to use the interpretation service one time for three hours. At some hospitals, patients are required to shoulder part of the expenses. How to make an appointment for the interpretation service is different by hospital. Please contact the medical counseling service of the hospital to visit beforehand in Japanese.
List of the cooperating medical institutions (in Japanese)
This system aims to solve housing-related problems that foreign people are faced with, such as difficulty in finding housing due to language barrier. In cooperation with the organizations concerned, various services are offered under the system, including introduction of real estate agents that provide services for foreign people, counseling on troubles after moving in, and dispatch of volunteer interpreters
For Counseling on Housing, etc.
This is the core of the Housing Support System. The Center introduces the real estate agents registered as “Housing Support Agent for Foreign People” that provide services to foreign people, gives counseling on troubles after moving in, and dispatch volunteer interpreters.
Yokohama YMCA 2nd Flr., 1-7 Tokiwa-cho, Yokohama City Tel: 045-228-1752
“Housing Support Agent for Foreign People”
Under this system, real estate agents* that provide services for foreign people are registered as “Housing Support Agent for Foreign People”. Real estate agents, if agree with the objective of the system, make application to K.P.G. for registration.
* The real estate agent to be registered must be the member of one of the following organizations: Kanagawa Real Estate Association, All Japan Real Estate Association Kanagawa Chapter, or Japan Property Management Association Kanagawa Chapter
The following is the list of Housing Support Agents for Foreign People. (Information on the agents which agreed to be posted on the website) (in Japanese)
- Yokohama City
- Kawasaki City
- Sagamihara City
- Yokosuka City Kamakura City Zushi City Miura City Hayama Town
- Atsugi City Yamato City Ebina City Zama City Ayase City Aikawa Town
- Hiratsuka City Fujisawa City Chigasaki City Hadano City Isehara City
- Odawara City Nakai Town Oi Town Matsuda Town
Multilingual information on housing
Multilingual information on the rules of renting housing and manners of living is available here.
Multilingual Information List
Housing Support Network for Foreign People
For smooth operation of the Housing Support System, real estate associations, ethnic organizations, international associations, YMCA, Kanagawa Housing Support Center for Foreign People, and the local governments (K.P.G., Yokohama City and Kawasaki City) joined together to form a Housing Support Network for Foreign People.
When inquiring,please note that contents and responsible sections of the following information are of the time of their issuance.
- Profile of Kanagawa Prefecture
- Kanagawa International Fan Club
- New Comprehensive Plan “Kanagawa Grand Design” Formulated! (Aug.'12)
- Fascinating Kanagawa -Investment environment promotion video-
- Organization of Kanagawa Prefectural Government and Hospital Departments & Sections (Apr.'13)
- Environment in Kanagawa
- Library Guide
- Kanagawa Prefectual Museum of Cultural History
- Kanagawa Prefectural Museum of Natural History
- Miura Peninsula Tourist Guide
- Miura Peninsula Guide & Map
- ONSHI-HAKONE-KOEN PARK
- “Kamakura, Home of the Samurai”- Aiming for World Heritage site
- About Kagawa Prefectural Institute of Public Health
- Prefectural waterworks Guidebook PDF1 PDF2
- Living Guide for Foreingners (Mar.'12)
- Deposit and Restoration (Feb.'13)
- Guide to Types of Rental Housing (Mar.'14)
- Moving ln/Out Manual (Mar.'15)
- Rules for Living (Mar.'01)
- Renting Flow to Rent Housing（Mar.'01）
- Rules for moving (Mar.'01)
- A Trusted Rental Support Business (Mar.'12)
- Traffic Rules of Japan （Dec.'09）
- Kanagawa Prefecture "Public High School Enrollment Guidebook"
- For Victims of Violence from Husbands （Aug.'13）
- “The Dangerous World of the Internet”, educational materials for prevention of the Internet troubles
- Leaflet on Consumer Affairs Consultation Services (Mar'.2013)
You can find medical institutions where foreign language service is available with the Kanagawa Medial Information Search System, though the information provided on the webpage is in Japanese.
- How to join the National Health Insurance System and Medical Insurance System for the Elderly aged 75 or over for the foreign residents
- A Manual for Medical Consultation in a foreign language A Manual for Dental Consultation in a foreign language （Oct.'01）
- Maternal and Child Welfare Q&A [Excelファイル／939KB] （Mar.'06）
- Poster for Tuberculosis Prevention （Sep.'06）
- Public Health and Medical Care Guide （Apr.'02）
- Kanagawa Prefectural Government Ordinance on Prevention of Exposure to Secondhand Smoke in Public Facilities （July.'14）
- "Kanagawa Prefectural Government Ordinance on Prevention of Exposure to Secondhand Smoke in Public Facilities" Established (Nov.'09)
- Earthquake Emergency Procedures （Mar.'04）
- Emergency manual - What to do when you are in emergencies or troubles - (Oct.'06)
- Civil Protection in Kanagawa （June.'07）
- A Guide to Crime Prevention Measures （Mar.'08）
- MULTILINGUAL MEDICAL QUESTIONNAIRE(NPO International Community Hearty Konandai/Kanagawa International Foundation )
- Multi-lingual Information Deliverly Service "Info Kanagawa" (Kanagawa Internarional Foundation)
For comments/questions on this page, please contact the International Division.